Strategic Planning Community Conversations
The document focused on all aspects of education, including early, middle, and senior years. It examined some potential ways for Mountain View to provide a positive learning environment for all students. This document also identified some of the challenges that existed at the time, in trying to meet the needs of all of its students.
- The first strategic direction is that of Student Learning. This direction has three focus areas: Numeracy, Literacy and Credit Attainment.
- The second strategic direction is that of Student Well-Being. This direction has four focus areas: Safe and Caring Schools, Student Voice, Indigenous Education, and Mental Health and Wellness.
School Division Climate
1. K-12 Education Review
2. Funding of Education
3. Provincial Bargaining
4. Human Capital
1. Population Growth
Video conferencing was put in place to assist high schools in their course offerings. Using this tool effectively required aligning timetables across the six high schools so students could access these courses. Recent changes in technology tools have made this less important for delivery.
3. Hands-On Learning
4. Community Partnerships
It is certainly not ideal. Shortages exist in accessing trained personnel and given the division’s size, too much time is spent getting to all of our communities. However, we are grateful for the service our staff provides in meeting the needs of our students and families.
These will further the dialogue so we can shape the future of Mountain View. They are as follows:
- How can your community grow the student population to ensure the sustainability of your local school?
- What is your current access to Internet connectivity where you live? How can MVSD advocate for your connectivity needs?
- Do you think that students have access to a variety of opportunities in preparation for life after graduation. Why?
- What types of community partnerships would you like to see for students in your community?
- What types of services would you like to see being delivered by other agencies in your local school?
- In the area of Student Learning (programming), what would you identify as a priority?
- In the area of Student Well-Being (safety/wellness), what would you identify as a priority?